So, I’ve been reading this really great blog lately, and by lately, I mean sporadically for about 6 months. It’s called Zen Habits . Recently there was a post about motivation – something of which I am not particularly a huge fan. I have big visions, but most times lose my steam before long.
The blog theorized that the two things that keep one motivated to achieve one’s goals is 1. to make the activity enjoyable, and 2. to use positive public pressure (read: accountability by one’s peers). I’m working on both. And I’m using this blog (of which very few read, I am aware) as my version of positive public pressure. I’ll worry about making my wannabe good habits enjoyable… but I will report on my successes or lack thereof.
So, here are my goals. I will update regularly, and would appreciate any and all comments, for sure!
- Run a marathon in one year… let’s say by Halloween 2009.
- Learn how to separate myself (and personal life in general) from work and other stresses.
- Continually work on being deliberate and thoughtful in all of my relationships and life circumstances.
- Read one book a month. This goal used to be SOOO easy for me, and I am ashamed to say, that this one may present my most significant challenge.
- Accept the people in my life for who they are, even if that means I need to separate myself from them.
More may come with time, but I feel pretty great about my list. None are more or less important than any others, but for my mental health, I need to strive to succeed at them all. Now, THIS will be a real adventure! I’m excited!